Sunday, May 15, 2011

My initial foray...

okay... so my intial foray into the world of Vietnam reenactment/ impression is that of the regular GI Joe , or " grunt" as they were called at that particular period in time. My very first acquisition then was the iconic M1 helmet. Actually, this was my "first" Vietnam equipment way back in the early 70s. I got the helmet from a classmate in high school for a bargain. I was at the time already interested on the American soldier... they were everywhere, on newspapers, LIFE magazines, books... that during that time, I was already too familiar with the US soldier's look and gears and all. So when the chance to own an M1 helmet, I didn't let it pass.

Fastforward: Present time:

With the availability of Vietnam materials, I finally started on actually collecting materials for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. Fortunately, I still have the M1 helmet I acquired in high school. But I found out that this was a WW2 but rear seamed helmet . This would do for a Vietnam impression , as WW2 helmets were worn during the very early stages of the war. But I wanted the more compact M1 helmet, the one with the lower profile .

My Steel Pot with period Mitchell Pattern cover
 I scrounged around Quiapo and after a very tedious search, finally found the Vietnam M1 I was looking for, minus the chinstrap. It was a worn and beat up helmet, but with the swivel bale still intact. I got it for 900 pesos, which for me was a real bargain. The vendor even seemed eager to dispose of the item. I just grabbed it before he changed his mind.

I was able to buy a used Mitchelle Pattern cover for it. The cover was full of graffiti from the previous owner. But the cover was original so I bought it .

Next was the correct period chinstrap. i got one. A very nice NOS OD chinstrap. Got it from a VN collector/ seller who was unloading some of his stuff. 

Next was the M1 helmet liner. Again, got one from Quiapo. It is the original liner stamped " Ground Troop " or something with some production serial numbers on it... the cover was full of graffiti from the previous owner. Anyway, the cover was authentic period material, but the graffiti was not.  

Oh, by way...on a sidenote, the correct way of wearing a VN era helmet is to wear it high. Most American VN reenactors have it right. But  I've seen how most Pinoy Vietnam war impressionists wear their helmets too low. During the time period, the soldiers would wear the helmets high on their heads. It was the "style". Wearing your helmet low means WW2 era. Again, look at photos of WW2. WW2 soldiers wear their helmets low because perhaps of the way the liner's suspensions were designed. Just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment